Candle Safety and Care Tips
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- This may seem obvious, but keep an eye on burning candles at all times. If leaving the room or going to sleep, extinguish candles completely.
- Keep candles away from small children and pets.
- Keep candles well out of reach of little hands and paws.
- Place candles on a stable heat-resistant surface.
- This minimizes the risk of candles tipping over or causing damage to surfaces underneath.
- Keep burning candles away from flammable objects.
- Don't keep anything near a candle that could catch fire including furniture, curtains, or anything else.
- Trim candles to 1/4 inch before each burn.
- Long or uneven wicks can cause dangerously large flames, smoke and soot. Your candle will burn better and safer when keeping the wick trimmed.
- Do not burn candles for longer than four hours.
- For best results, burn between two to four hours, but never more than four. This allows for a more complete burn and prevents large flames, extra soot, and overheating.
- Extinguish candle if flames become too big or flickery.
- Yikes! This shouldn't happen, but if it does, extinguish the candle and let it cool. Then try trimming the wick and checking for drafts before relighting.
- Don't burn candles all the way down to the bottom.
- For safety, it's best to leave 1/4 an inch of wax at the bottom of the container. This prevents the glass from overheating.
- Burn candles away from drafty spaces.
- Drafts can make flames large and cause them to flicker which can make the glass overheat. Drafts can also cause other materials to blow into the flame which can cause a fire. Never place a candle near a fan, vent, or window.
- Keep debris out of the melted wax.
- Any items in the wax including matches and wick trimmings are a fire hazard. Keep them out of your melted wax, but remove them when the flame is out and the candle has cooled.
- Do not touch or move a candle while it's burning.
- Candles get hot and the wax can shift when attempting to move a burning candle...ouch!
- Use a snuffer to extinguish a candle.
- This is the best way to put out a candle flame as it prevents hot wax from splattering.
- Never use water to extinguish a candle.
- Using water to extinguish a candle can cause the flame to become dangerously large. Similar to using water on a grease fire, the flame can grow out of control causing the glass to overheat and possibly shatter.
A DIFFERENT BURN:
You may notice when you're burning our coconut wax candles that there is left over wax on the edges of the container. Have no fear! The wax will melt off and catch up when burning the last third of the candle. PRO TIP: Longer burns (3-4hours) during the last half of the candle will ensure all the wax melts down off the sides.
REUSING OUR CONTAINERS:
Easily remove any leftover wax by putting your finished candle into the freezer overnight. When wax becomes hard, use a butter knife or spoon to gently pop the wax from the bottom of the vessel. Hand wash with soap and water and then fill with whatever you like! Some of our favorite ideas include: a spare change jar, a pen or pencil holder, hair binder and bobby pin container, toiletry organizer, or a drinking glass.